CBD Oil For Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral palsy, a disease of abnormal movement and posture, is a lifelong neurological condition that affects a child’s brain at birth or within early years of life. It affects an individual in variable ways and can be very debilitating in extreme cases, to which there is no cure. Cannabidiol (CBD) is a fast growing industry due to its beneficial effects in many physical and mental conditions. Currently there is research backing up the use of CBD oil to help with the symptoms of cerebral palsy. Is there any truth to this? Read on to find out my take on this topic.
What exactly is cerebral palsy?
Cerebral palsy in its definition is a disorder of movement and posture. But it can be associated with many other complications as well. Complications such as learning disability, urinary and bowel incontinence, seizures, speech and communication problems, vision problems, recurrent lung infections and swallowing difficulties are only some of them. It is caused due to an insult to a developing brain which is under around 3 years of age. This insult can be an antenatal infection of the mother, birth injury during delivery or a neonatal infection like meningitis and other. Cerebral palsy is a spectrum of a disease. For example, it might affect a child with only weakness of the lower limbs and no associated features while it can affect another with quadriplegia, which is paralysis of all four limbs and learning disability. Whatever the presentation it may be, it decreases the quality of life in a child and might even lower their life span.
Can CBD Oil help cerebral palsy?
Cerebral palsy cannot be completely cured but there are many traditional modes of treatment such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, pharmacological treatment and surgery available. Recent research studies have shown how CBD oil can also help with the symptoms of cerebral palsy. In our body, there exists the endocannabinoid system which regulates our immune system, inflammation processes, pain sensitivity, muscle contraction and relaxation and many other. CBD oil stimulates this system. Therefore, the use of CBD oil helps reduce symptoms such as spasticity, chronic pain of joints and muscles and seizures. One of the symptoms of cerebral palsy is speech disorder due to muscle discoordination. These patients might develop stammers and stuttering which makes it unable for them to communicate with one another further deteriorating their quality of life. CBD oil has been found to be very effective in this case. Patients with cerebral palsy might also develop depression, anxiety and sleep disorders. CBD oil is found effective in alleviating these symptoms as well.
What are the best brands of CBD oil for cerebral palsy?
There are many brands of CBD oil that can be used for cerebral palsy. Listed below are the best of them:
- Elixinol– this is a well-known high quality brand that has many CBD products which are all extracted from organic hemp. Their oil capsules are highly potent containing very high amounts of cannabidiol, ideal in seizure and spasticity control. Apart from hemp they also have essential oils in them.
- Endoca– CBD is extracted from hemp at Endoca in a clean, pure and safe standardized manner that it has even been given GMP certification. There are no GMOs or synthetic chemicals in their products. They have different potencies and different products of CBD that you have the option of choosing from.
- RE Botanicals– this is a relatively newer full spectrum CBD oil which is produced from not only organic hemp but also USDA certified hemp. Their prices are quite reasonable. It was introduced by John Roulac, also the founder of Nutiva which is a brand that promotes organic superfoods. They have 3 concentrations and come in 2 flavours; peppermint and natural. They are also available in topical form and as capsules.
- Charlotte’s Web CBD oil– this is a hemp extract oil found in full strength available in 2 flavours; mint chocolate and olive oil. It is taken orally and is best to reduce symptoms of muscle and joint pain and relax you for a good night’s sleep. It is also found to improve cognitive strength.
- Kanibi– this is a full spectrum hemp extract CBD oil which offers you full transparency of the product which means you can find information regarding its formulation testing reports on the product page. Their hemp is organically grown in Kentucky. They have two options of potency and 2 flavours as well; mint chocolate and lemon.
- Sisters of the Valley CBD infused oil– this is one of the most affordable CBD oil containing both hemp and essential oils with a coconut oil base. However, they are of low doses which can be ideal according to your need. They have almost no THC which markedly decreases the sedative effect of CBD oil. They are taken orally and is unflavoured. They help in alleviating body pain.
- Lazarus Naturals CBD tincture– this is a highly potent CBD oil containing hempseed oil, fractionated coconut oil and hemp extract. They come both unflavoured and flavoured. Flavours include French vanilla, mocha, blood orange, tropical breeze and winter mint. They help reduce inflammation, alleviate pain, relax muscle spasms and improve mood.
CBD oil and the muscular system: What’s going on?
Patients with cerebral palsy experience muscle spasms which can be painful and also very debilitating. Their muscles tend to be rigid with locked joints as a result of these spasms. Continuous involuntary spasms can lead to development of contractures which are permanent disorders of joint alignment that can only be corrected by surgery. To prevent this, it is important to reduce the occurrence of muscle spasms in these patients. As CBD oil stimulates the endocannabinoid system, which in turn regulates muscle relaxation and contraction, muscle spasms can be controlled in patients with cerebral palsy with the use of CBD oil. Sativex, a drug that is prescribed in multiple sclerosis to control symptoms of musculoskeletal system is in fact a synthetic form of cannabis, which in turn shows the effect that CBD oil can have on the musculoskeletal system.
Does CBD have side effects?
Like any other product, CBD oil also has side effects. It is not advisable to take these without the proper guidance and prescription of healthcare professionals. Especially since it could react with other drugs that are being used for cerebral palsy. The brand, route and dosage of CBD intake is variable and should be decided by a professional. Since CBD oil is found very effective in control of seizures, some may decide to completely stop the normal medication and replace with CBD oil. This is not advisable. It must be done with careful monitoring and a gradual manner. Furthermore, antiepileptic medication can cause liver failure in the long term. And one of the rare but serious side effects of CBD oil is also liver failure. Thus patients must be carefully monitored. Another side effect of CBD Oil is its sedative effect which are exacerbated with the use of alcohol and other depressants. They can also cause stomach problems like diarrhoea and loss of appetite. CBD oil can calm down an overactive immune system which is ideal in certain situations, but can be dangerous if the patient is immunocompromised, which patients with cerebral palsy tend to be leading to recurrent chest infections. So when the patient develops an infection it is best to seek medical advice.
Final verdict: Is CBD oil good for cerebral palsy?
Cerebral palsy is a lifelong neurological disorder that markedly reduces a patient’s quality of life and can even be a difficult condition for caretakers to manage. CBD oil has been proven to help with the symptoms of cerebral palsy. Especially symptoms such as muscle spasms, seizures, speech problems and chronic pain. It will also help alleviate mood symptoms associated with the disease. In turn, those suffering might be able to experience better quality of life. There are many brands of CBD oil out there that you can choose from. Side effects of CBD oil are rare but can be serious, thus should always be used after consulting with a healthcare professional.
Now it’s your turn
As a parent it is understandably very difficult to see your child suffer from the symptoms of cerebral palsy. And you would want to do your utmost to relieve those symptoms. Don’t take my word for it. But rather do your own research to find out more about CBD oil and its use in cerebral palsy. You will not only come across articles that support my viewpoints but also research studies. Explore these and ask questions from professionals to help you understand better. There are many forums that discuss these issues. Bring it up at your next support group meeting and you might be surprised to find out how many others are aware of the use of CBD oil in cerebral palsy. Talk to your physician or paediatrician regarding the matter and if indicated start the child on it and see how their life transforms into a better one.